Making a movie
19. February 2017
Back in August ’16, only 2 days after my wedding, I was flying to Nias, a small island in Indonesia. Some good friends of mine have founded a home for poor children there who can’t afford to go to school. Going to school is expensive in Indonesia, so many families just can’t provide any sort of education for their kids.
I’m a big fan of this project, so in 2015 I decided to make a movie about it. I hope the movie makes the project known to many people, and also raises the donations, as the whole project depends on that.
But I also took on that project as a new personal challenge. I’m doing every part of that movie by myself, from writing over shooting to editing and grading. That’s not really the way I work usually, but as this project came with absolutely no budget, it was the only way to do it at all. So to me this project is also an exercise in project planning, script writing and shooting with modern cameras. I wanted to experience what it’s like to be out there and produce pictures, instead of sitting in your edit suite and wait for the footage to be delivered to you.
I had amazing 8 days there, and we were shooting about 2 terabyte of interviews, surf sessions, local stories and a lot of stuff with the kids. I want to thank everyone involved in the project. Keep up the good work!
Unfortunately, I have not found the time to finish the movie yet, as I’m really busy with a lot of projects to edit at the moment, but I hope to get it done until mid 2017.
Some quick facts for those who are interested in the production:
- The movie was shot with a Sony FS7, Canon 550d and several Gopro 3 and 4
- We had 8 days to shoot in total
- With additional footage the total size of the project is now 2.8 terabyte
- Most of the footage was shot in 4k XAVC-I, Slog3, slowmos up to 180 fps were shot in HD
- We have visited and interviewed some parents of the kids, the school they go to, the house they live in, the famous stone jumping in Nias, some of the best surf spots in the world and much more.
So to me that’s a big and exciting project, and I’ll keep you updated about it.
If you’re interested in the project, take a look at the website : http://kunterbunt.rentusmusic.de/index.php/en/